Thursday, November 30, 2017

Fire in Frost (Crystal Frost #1) by Alicia Rades | A Book Review

Fire in Frost (Crystal Frost #1) by Alicia Rades | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!


I was listening to alternative music while I started to write this review. I have forgotten how it felt like to listen to them. It has been a while since I enjoyed their relaxing embrace. Listening to the music of Lifehouse, Daughtry, The Script, Alex Band, Counting Crows, etc. had always been my comfort. It's like they are giving me warmth and it's as if there is nothing that could go wrong with the world. 

So, Fire in Frost. I thought this was a fantasy. It looks like it from the title. Yes, I did not read the blurb for this story. I got a free copy from Amazon and this has been in residence in my TBR for quite a while. Finally, I have read it and it was actually a good story. It was far from what I thought it was. 

This is the first book of Alicia Rades that I read but the review for the second book after I read this one came out first. I know. I kind of have this mood when I write my reviews. It depends on what kind of mood I am in to review a book. So, some of the books I read stay for quite longer on my review drafts than the others. There are other times also that some stories are easier to review than others. Some emotions need to be processed and stewed over before they can be expressed into words. For this book, I am not sure why I was not able to write a review right away. It felt like my mood was wrong to come up with a satisfactory review for this story, until now.

This is a ghost story. Well, a girl who sees ghosts. Crystal Frost has special abilities. One of them is to see and talk to ghosts. Then, the ghost of a dead classmate started appearing to her asking for help. Will Crystal be able to uncover the truth about Olivia's death?

This is a coming of age story of Crystal trying to discover her special abilities and learning to accept and use them. In this story, Crystal was able to uncover the mystery relating to a friend's death. Olivia's ghost was asking Crystal for help and with her abilities coming in handy, Crystal was able to give eternal rest to Olivia. 

I enjoyed this story. Though this involved a ghost, it wasn't creepy at all. It was fun seeing Crystal trying to take hold of her abilities and use it to help people. Discovering also that she's not the only one endowed with special abilities made her seemed a little less crazy. She decided that her abilities are gifts and she should just embrace it instead of having to question it.

I give the book 4/5 halloween costumes. The ending hints of another adventure for Crystal. It seemed like another soul needs her help. Question is: is it dead or alive? I can't help but jump into the next book in the series. I am not sure if I have the next book though. This book is a very good start to a very interesting series of ghostly proportions. I can't believe I didn't read this sooner. Well, I better make sure I have all the books in the series so I would need not wonder what future awaits Crystal with her special abilities. 





Being psychic doesn't mean you're entitled to things other people aren't.
- Alicia Rades, Fire in Frost - 


No comments:

Post a Comment