Sunday, August 27, 2017

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan | A Book Review

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!

I had the chance to read this book because a friend had it. It was still wrapped in plastic fresh from the store when he handed it to me to read. Thank you Dars for lending me this book. I was so amused and entertained. You are a master Kevin Kwan. I finished this book in one sitting, probably around 4-5 hours. I could not let it go until I reached the end of the book.

This book was such a hoot. There were a lot of very funny lines that I just can't help but laugh out loud. My friend, who was watching TV beside me was raising her eyebrows at my noisy reaction to this book. I just can't suppress the sound of my laughter. Since, this was not my book, I had to take pictures of my favorite lines. My most favorite was the one about bok choy. I had to stop and laugh to my heart's content after reading that line. It was just so freaking hilarious. I can vividly picture it in my mind and the picture was just so funny.

This is a glimpse into the life of crazy rich asians. Their lifestyles, mind set, biases and how they see the world of ordinary people separate from their own. They are super rich that it will drive you mental. The older generation of these unassumingly rich Asians are way more frugal and wise in spending their wealth. They don't like to make a fuss. They want their lives to be a secret, a mystery. They do not want to be plastered in the papers or talk about their businesses. For example, they would rather walk nine blocks from the airport to the hotel than get on a taxi even though, they have tons of money that they can actually afford to buy the hotel if they have to. On the other hand, the younger generation of this ultra rich Asian families splurge as much as they can. They thrive on luxuries and comfort. The enjoy their jet-setting lifestyle and lavish parties. They are connoisseur of designer brands and expensive cars. They spend money faster than you can blink.

The two main characters of this story Rachel and Nick are both of Chinese descent but they met in the US. Rachel grew up in the US while Nick was schooled in London. These two are from opposite ends of the wealth hierarchy. Rachel had the surprise of her life when she met the family of Nick in Singapore. The phrase "crazy rich asians" came from Rachel's mouth. No word could be more appropriate to describe the complications that came with meeting Nick's family and all other things attached to them.

No wonder this book is such a hit. This is hilarious, witty and very realistic. I felt even more attuned to the story because I happen to be in Singapore at the time of reading this book. The ambiance added more to the drama and the entertainment value of the story. The mention of places and food in this book which I have become familiar with made me more connected to the story. It was such an experience and I am looking forward to the other books from this author. Definitely, Kevin Kwan can charm his audience.

I give this book 5/5 sticks of chicken satay or no, make that a whole stretch of hawker stalls of delicious Malay, Indian and Chinese food. This book was truly a treat. Congratulations Kevin Kwan!




NEVER, EVER wear green chiffon unless you want to look like bok choy that got ganged-raped.
- Kevin Kwan, Crazy Rich Asians - 

No comments:

Post a Comment