Sunday, December 11, 2016

Halcyon (The Complex #0) by Demelza Carlton | ARC | A Book Review

Halcyon (The Complex) by Demelza Carlton ARC Book Review

Hi! There are 14 more days to go before Christmas. Are you excited? Have you decided what books you want to receive? I would like to get a copy of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Hope my best friends would read this post and send me the book. *Praying and crossing fingers*

I almost forgot that this book is releasing today. Good thing, my calendar alert reminded me. I hastily read this book. Best thing is, this was not too lengthy and I was able to finish it in about three hours. Phew!

Halcyon is a science-fiction novel. I am also not a fan of sci-fi though there were some books of the same genre that I had enjoyed. This genre is not really my everyday read. But I like to be flexible and mix things once in a while. Especially, when the story line is really interesting. For Halcyon, I did not read the blurb. Again, my excitement in seeing the magic word ARC got the better of me and I just signed up. As I often say, this is one of those books that chose me. Cliche, I know. But I found this story very intriguing. I don't think I have read about Mer-people so this was new for me. I guess my instinct was right again. Yeah!

Halcyon is a siren who destroyed and killed a ship full of humans. The only survivor was a kid -Galen. Galen promised to avenge his parents' death. Ten years later, when he learned that Halcyon was in Lorn, he decided to find her and extract revenge.

As I have said, I did not expect to enjoy this book but I am happy to say that I did. I was very curious as to the characters and what type of creatures are they. The story line is very straight forward and after the first two or three chapters, I have discovered who Halcyon is. Unfortunately for Galen, he was non-the-wiser. This was like watching a movie wherein you already know what is going to happen and instead of being bored or losing interest, I was riveted because I wanted to find out how Galen would finally come face to face with the one person he hates most. It may appear anti-climatic since the suspense of Halcyon's true identity was already known to me but it was still amusing to find the reaction and realization of Galen when it hit him. According to him, he was so stupid, which in a way I agree but I forgave him since if I were in his place I would definitely feel the same. In Galen's perspective, it was never apparent that Halcyon was just within his reach.

What I really like on this story is that there weren't a lot of highly technical or very scientific terms or phrases, being this is a sci-fi book. Unlike other books which tend to feel like a theoretical lecture, this one, thankfully, did away with going into detail with all those dizzying scientific concepts and ideas. This book will surely appeal to everyone, even if you are not into sci-fi like me. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

I give the book 4/5 bars of chocolate. This was done smoothly. And like a bar of chocolate, it was good and so easy to swallow. In a way, it was amusing to know that I was privy to the secret and the main character was so oblivious. It gave me an advantage over him and I was just waiting to find his reaction. It was a laugh for me knowing Galen was in a quagmire when he was confronted with it. It was like hahaha. Gotcha!



Here is a good pick up line boys...Hit it!
Girl: I'm just...rusty, is all.
Boy: Now , that's where you got lucky. Working in Maintenance, I know just how to get rid of all the rust, and rub you up until you feel all shiny and new. 
- Demelza Carlton, Halcyon - 



Release Date: December 10, 2016



Thank you again, Demelza Carlton, for the ARC.

No comments:

Post a Comment