Monday, October 2, 2017

The Smoking Lamp (Sons of the Sand #1) by Kimberly Loth | ARC | A Book Review

The Smoking Lamp (Sons of the Sand #1) by Kimberly Loth | ARC | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!

Here comes another one from the master storyteller. I don't know where Kimberly Loth get her stories from but it seems that there is no way they are running out. Congratulations on this new series!

This story is definitely smoking hot! Not just the genie but the story is really out-of-this-world amazing. A totally new take on the genie-in-a-bottle tales. I think it's time we outgrow Aladdin and meet new genies. Yey!

As you may have noticed, I have reviewed quite a few of Kimberly Loth's books. Since I first stumbled upon one of her books, the first one was Skye, since then, I have always looked forward to reading a new book from her. Her stories just have a way of making me remember how I fell in love with books, stories and reading, in the first place. Her stories always take me to a different, new and magical world where I can take part and get swallowed in it. A world where I could step into the shoes of the heroes and feel like them. It is a world of endless possibilities where I am not constrained by anything. Worries or anything else.

This new story unlike the others takes the old and brought it out into the modern world. A genie was freed from his bottle-prison in modern-day America and was as lost and confused as expected. Luckily for him, he has someone like him who has been in America for a few years who can orient him about this new culture and new world. And that things are different now and the rules may have changed from about a thousand years ago.

I know I just met Liv, Ty and their ever-silent grandmother but I already liked them. Ty has my dream job. A travel photographer. Liv is her younger sister who sometimes tags along on his international travels. This story started in Egypt when Liv bought ten pretty bottles from an Egyptian souvenir shop as a gift for her friends in the US. And the rest of the story will smoke you out of your senses.

A main character that is in her most vulnerable because a boyfriend cheated on her with her best friend. A very loving and adorable brother who has the coolest job ever. A mute and mysterious grandmother who cooks very delicious food and pastries. Twin best friends who have an obsession with books and fictional characters. A genie who has been imprisoned in his bottle for far too long and there could be more of them. This is easily the mix of curious and interesting characters and adventure that you are looking for. What are you waiting for? Don't just stand there wishing, get the book now!

I give this story 5/5 old perfume bottles. I really enjoyed the story. It's far from Disney's Aladdin story we know. The genie here is not really that nice like Aladdin's genie but may actually kill his master. Scary right? Really, be careful what you wish for. I don't think I would wish for anything, if in exchange my life would be drained out of me. This is definitely a series to watch out for and follow. Well, I am on the author's ARC team already, if you want to join us, then join the Facebook group now! Don't miss out on this new and amazing story or your wish just won't be granted. 



Everything was better with cinnamon.

- Kimberly Loth, The Smoking Lamp -  



Other stories by Kimberly Loth--

Dragon Kings:

Stella and Sol:


No comments:

Post a Comment