Friday, March 31, 2017

The Invisible Hand: Shakespeare's Moon, Act I by James Hartley | A Book Review

The Invisible Hand: Shakespeare's Moon, Act I  by James Hartley | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!

This is about Sam who time travels to medieval Scotland and meets a girl named Leana. Leana also travels to the current time to Sam's boarding school. These two become caught up in the events in Macbeth, the Shakespearean play. 

My first question while reading this book was why was it called Invisible Hand. Unfortunately, I did not find the answer. Up to now, I am still figuring out if I have missed the part where it was explained in the story. I really want to know why this story was titled as such. It has always been important to me to know how the title was fitted to the story. In a way, it somehow gives me a peek into the mind of the author.

As mentioned, the two main characters in this tale --Sam and Leana found themselves trapped in the events of the story Macbeth. I actually have not read Macbeth. I guess, it was the reason why I felt like there were events in the story that I could not connect. I felt like the story was fragmented. Maybe, if I read Macbeth and read this story again, I will be able to appreciate and identify the parallel events in this story and in the play. In short, I was a little confused. I was not able to appreciate the whole story at all. I was not able to piece together the flow of the story. Entirely my fault but I also wished that the story would have been easier to follow even if I have not read Macbeth.

What I heartily appreciated about the story though was the part where they had to find an object which was also what the witch in Macbeth was looking for. The same witch is also happens to appear in the boarding school and had installed herself as one of the few people who has authority and access to the whole school and its surroundings. Sam and Leana will have to race against her to get that object to prevent her from causing havoc both in medieval Scotland and in the present time. It was so cool for these two finding clues from the historical events and persons that lead them to the church and the cemetery. I really enjoyed this part.

One other thing I was wondering about was why Sam could travel back in time, to a period when he was not even born. The story hinted of a special ability of Sam that was passed on from his mother. I am interested to explore more on this unique characteristic of Sam. I also wonder about Leana. Is she like Sam? How can she also travel between periods?

I give this book 3/5 old books. Truthfully, I find the plot amazing. I don't think integrating any Shakespearean play into a story has been done before. It's a fresh idea. This story reminds of Sam Sotto's Love and Gravity. It also has time travel but instead of a historical genius, in here it features a classic play by no other than Mr. William Shakespeare. If time permits, I would like to reread this story. I want to fully grasp it and connect with it. I don't think I was able to appreciate what it was telling me the first time. 


I am looking forward to reading the next books. As I understand, it would still be set in the boarding school but it would feature another of Shakespeare's play. Maybe, next time I will get lucky and it would include a play that I have read before like Taming of the Shrew. And I will get to the enjoy the story to my heart's content.

One foot in front of the other and follow your nose.
- James Hartley, The Invisible Hand - 



Thank you again, Netgalley for the copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment